Thursday, May 15, 2014

S.M.A.R.T. Goals

Today, I'm going to talk about goals. Specifically, my goals concerning Trim Healthy Mama, and what I plan to get out of this. Every new "diet" scares the bejeebers out of me. Failure has been my modus operandi for so long I don't know what success feels like in weight loss. I'll be completely honest, I'm more scared of succeeding than failing. Mostly, because if I succeed, then I have to keep it up. And keeping up a successful endeavor can be exhausting. Everything I've read about THM gives me the idea that it is easy to do and easy to succeed with. My inner man cries out, "Oh please, let this be true!!!" I fear that if I fail at this...I will never try again and I will live the rest of my days fat and disabled. 

One of the several good things I walked away from college with is a new way of looking at goal setting. It's not just this abstract thing...



....there is a way to systematically achieve them!




Take an honest look at your goal. 

Is it specific...or is it abstract? Specific says, "I want to lose 20 pounds", abstract says, "I want to lose weight". 

Is it measurable? 20 pounds is a measurement. Losing weight is not. How will you know when you've reached your goal? 

Is it attainable? Can you actually lose weight, much less 20 pounds? Is there a plan in place to help you? 

Is it relevant? Do you need to lose weight? Do you need to lose 20 pounds? Can you lose weight?

Is there a time limit? How long are you going to give yourself to lose 20 pounds? Do you have a wedding you want to go to? Do you have enough time to achieve your goal in a healthy manner? 

All of these questions help put together the bridge that will take you from where you are to achieving your goal. 



With this formula for addressing my goals, here is what I have come up with for long-term goals: 

1) I want to lose 100 pounds by this time next year. (May 2015) I think I will be under or at my wedding weight. (I never weighed myself at that time)

2) I want to be able to walk a 5K by this time next year. (May 2015) I am currently unable to stand for more than 5 minutes at a time, much less walk any distance, without assistance.

3) I want to fit in a size 12 by this time next year. (May 2015)


Here is my list of short-term goals: 

1) I want to eliminate sugar from my diet completely by June 30th.

2) I want to join a Zumba class by August.

3) I want to be able to walk through a store without assistance by August. 


In all of this goal-setting and "worrying", I have to remember that it is God who has made me able to do any and all things I need to do through the strength of Jesus Christ. (Phil 4:13) and that MY GOD shall supply my every need according to his riches in glory through Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19)

He is going to turn the Impossible...to Possible. This will be another lesson in, not only, #faithfulness but also in trusting and letting go. 

I'm so thankful he has put several beautiful women in my life that are going to help me through this journey by living it out in their own lives. 

Stefani, Jenn, and Misty....we will do this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment! As soon as I have had a chance to review it, it will show up in the comment feed. I intend for this to be a place of friendly discourse, and godly encouragement. If you have anything nasty to say about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or me...be assured, it won't see the light of day. I won't allow "spewing" to happen here.:) Be blessed!!